How to Order and Ship a Genetic Test
Follow this simple guide to order your genetic tests and determine appropriate sample collection and shipping measures.
Browse our test catalogue, and choose the tests of interest
Fill out your sender information, patient, and billing data, then sign the consent
Collect the required amount of samples, preferably using CentoCard
Send your sample to CENTOGENE*
*Please clearly mark your sample with unique identifier(s), DOB, and last and first name
Alternatively download our request form, fill in, and send it with signed consent form and sample
To ensure the highest-quality interpretation of genetic data, we require detailed clinical information about the patient and ideally also family members. Several studies have shown that high quality clinical information improves diagnostic yield (Bertoli-Avella et al. 2020, PMID: 32860008; Köhler et al. 2019).
The following information must be included on the accompanying requisition forms:
- Patient demographics
- Name of ordering physician/healthcare provider with complete contact details
- Name of report recipient with complete contact details
- Name of invoice recipient with complete contact details if differing from report recipient
- Clinical and family history information of patient
- Test(s) requested
- Signed, completed consent form
- Preferred payment option – check the appropriate box. Please find payment options and required forms here.
Sample material must be labeled with:
- Patient’s full name
- Patient’s date of birth
|CentoCard®||EDTA blood||Buccal swab1||Saliva2||Ready to use DNA||FFPE||cfDNA|
|CentoGenome and CentoXome|| |
|NGS Panels|| |
|Somatic Tumor Panel||―||―||―||―||―||◯||―|
|Single Gene or Targeted Testing (Sanger or NGS)|| |
|Deletion/Duplication Testing (qPCR)|| |
|Deletion/Duplication Testing (MLPA)|| |
|Repeat Expansion Testing|| |
|CentoGenome MOx and CentoXome MOx|| |
|CentoMetabolic MOx|| |
|Enzyme Panels MOx|| |
|Enzyme Panels|| |
|Enzymes and Biomarkers|| |
1Only Oragene OCR-100 buccal swab collection sets are accepted
Special speciments not listed here may be offered for certain tests. Please contact us at customer(dot)support(at)centogene(dot)com to enquire for further test & specimen options.
- Each accompanied by Pathology report
- Fixation types accepted: 10% Formalin or 4% Paraformaldehyde or frozen tissue from OCT-Cell blocks (freshly frozen)
- Please do not send tissue fixed in Bouins or gluteraldehyde. All samples should be shipped in a sterile tube at room temperature - no cold pack is required
Please ensure that all clinical materials are collected with the highest level of attention. This is of particular importance when sampling fibroblasts, amniotic fluid, or chorionic villi where a sterile environment has to be maintained.
Should you have any questions regarding CENTOGENE’s recommendations for sample preparation, please contact us.
All clinical materials should be collected with approved methods to avoid contamination and cross contamination. A sterile environment must be maintained when collecting samples of fibroblasts, amniotic fluid, or chorionic villi. Our sample preparation requirements are detailed in the table below.
For all countries except Germany, we require a written and signed statement including the complete address and name of the person or institution that will cover the cost of analysis.
Please note that for time-sensitive specimens, you must notify us via e-mail at customer(dot)support(at)centogene(dot)com.
- ≥ 1 full CentoCard® (10 complete blood spots)
- 2 full CentoCard®s or 1 full CentoCard® + 2 ml EDTA blood for CentoGenome MOx, CentoXome MOx, CentoMetabolic MOx, Enzyme Panels MOx and Enzyme Panels (CentoLSD, CentoSphingo, CentoMPS, and CentoNCL)
- ≥ 1 ml
- ≥4 ml required for CentoGenome MOx, CentoXome MOx, CentoMetabolic MOx, Enzyme Panels MOx and Enzyme Panels (CentoLSD, CentoSphingo, CentoMPS, and CentoNCL)
- ≥5ml required for beta-glucocerebrosidase biochemical testing, which is performed in leucocytes
- 1 Oragene OCR-100 buccal swab collection set
- 2 Oragene OCR-100 buccal swab collection sets for the Ataxia comprehensive panel and Ataxia repeat expansion panel
- 1 Oragene OG-610 saliva collection set
- 2 Oragene OG-610 saliva collection sets for the Ataxia comprehensive panel and Ataxia repeat expansion panel
Ready to use DNA
- ≥ 1 µg
For DNA samples, we recommend extraction using Qiagen kits, elution in water or AE buffer in 20µL volume (min.), plus evaluation of 260/280 Ratio (1.6 – 2.1) and fluorescent dye quantification of concentration (> 10 ng/µl) before sending.
cfDNA (cell-free DNA)
- 10 ml of blood shipped in cell-free DNA BCT STRECK tubes
(fibroblasts, chorionic villi cells, amniotic fluid cells)
- 1 flask, min. 25cm2, 80-90% confluent
CVS (chorionic villi)
- A minimum of 10 cleaned villi
- ≥1 ml
- A minimum of 10 ml
- ≥ 20 mg
Bone marrow aspirate (NH4-Heparin)
- EDTA Tube or CentoCard, alternatively NH4-Heparin
- Sample size: ≥ 20 mg
FFPE (Formaline-fixed Parafin Embedded Tissue)
- 1 Block
- ≥ 10 sections of 10 µm thickness (uncharged slides without additives) and control slide with clearly marked area of enriched tumor
CentoCard® – As Easy as Mailing a Letter
Dried blood spot (DBS) cards for patients’ samples collection and shipment. The simplest way to ship biological samples, making genetic testing available anywhere in the world.
Samples should be sent to:
Am Strande 7
Filter cards, EDTA blood, cord blood, saliva, DNA, or paraffin embedded tissue
Samples can be sent via regular mail at room temperature. Liquid blood is stable for up to 4 days during transport.
A min. of 10 ml of samples should be placed into a sterile conical tube. These should be shipped overnight at room temperature. Care must be taken to ensure that the sample does not freeze.
Chorionic villi, Tissue Samples Other Than Paraffin Embedded Tissue
Specimens must be shipped at room temperature in a minimum of 35ml of RPMI transport medium with fetal calf serum. Especially during winter months, please ensure that the samples are shipped in a manner to secure that they do not freeze (temperatures should not fall below +4°C).
Flasks containing cells should be completely filled with transport medium containing fetal calf serum and shipped at room temperature. Care must be taken to ensure that the sample does not freeze.